Quality & Continuous Improvement Engineer
Northern Iron and Machine is seeking a Quality and Continuous Improvement Engineer.
The Quality and Continuous Improvement Engineer will provide support to the quality management team and inspectors, as well as the Foundry, Machine, and Pattern Shop by checking the progression of in process castings and patterns. Assist all staff to ensure quality standards are met and issue corrective actions as needed throughout the organization. Assist with development of current and future product processes. Work with internal and external customers to interpret requirements and manage corrective actions in order to drive continual improvement.
This position will support the Minster Ohio site and the Novi Michigan site, some travel will be required
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communicates Corrective and Preventative actions to Customers as required.
- Manages the Companies Layout Inspection and Non Destructive Testing (NDT) Program as required for final product and first article
- Determines Inspection requirements based on Customer Specifications and Internal needs to qualify processes.
- Performs First Article and routine inspections and documents results as required by Customer Specifications.
- Evaluates results and provides feedback to Engineering and Manufacturing Departments.
- Trains new inspectors on methods and techniques of Layout and NDT.
- Sets up NDT Training and testing plan for each method per ASNT-TC-1A and the appropriate ASTM standard.
- Manages all NDT and dimensional inspection equipment in accordance to The CA Lawton Co. Quality System and manufactures recommendations to enhance inspection capabilities.
- Documents and disposition Non Conforming materials (Scrap, Rework or request Deviation) and initiates the rescheduling process.
- Manages Damaged Goods inventory inside Great Plains to insure Non Conforming product does not get shipped to the customer.
- Active member of Quoting and Contract Review
- Assist Engineering in New Product qualification (PFMEA’s, Control Plans, Capability Studies and PPAP’s).
- Provide Customers required Quality Documentation as required to obtain product approval.
- Schedules and Coordinates Customer Source Inspections and third party inspections.
- Provides ideas to improve dimensional stability and the manufacturability that results in better Quality and lower costs for the Company and the Customer.
- Actively updates and communicates with customers on quality related information and concerns.
- Supports Procurement Specialist by participate in on-site inspections
- Facilitate and participate in Fishbone diagram and 5 why meetings for root cause analysis of casting and machining issues.
- Able to run the weekly Corrective action meeting in the absence of the Quality Assurance Manager.
- Works with planning and production to schedule ABS and ASME on-site inspections and is the onsite contact while they are onsite witness inspections.
- Schedules and facilitates ABS and ASME Re-certification audits.
- Communicates quality issues at Daily tier 2 meeting along with notifying production and Engineering if there is a MRB meeting.
- Facilitates MRB meeting.
- Manages the calibration of measuring equipment and the repair of the equipment for the machine shop and the foundry.
- Works with the melt deck as needed to verify the thermocouples are reading temperature accurately.
- Support Foundry Coaches, Working Supervisors, and line workers in all quality-related aspects of the manufacturing process
- Participate in group discussions and team projects as needed.
- Lead and oversee the quality department at the site
- Train employees on the correct procedure for making a quality product
- Assist with cross-training of production employees
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Education: 4 year degree in a related discipline.
Experience: 5 years of experience in a quality assurance role in a manufacturing environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ATTRIBUTE REQUIRED:
- Understanding of Quality Systems and how they apply to foundries and machine shops
- Knowledge of Foundry, Machining and Tooling related processes
- Deep Knowledge of NDT and Layout Inspection
- Ability to perform root cause analysis on defects
- Basic Knowledge of statistical tools
- Knowledge of the information systems required
- Ability to interact well with personnel at all levels
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Ability to problem solve and speak in understandable language
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good understanding of working safely
- Clearly able to demonstrate core values of honesty, caring, thinking, and success
- Team oriented, ethical, and trustworthy
- Flexible and able to adapt and embrace change
- Strong detail orientation
- Results oriented and self motivated.
- Fixed weekly schedule
- Insurance within 60 days
- Holidays and paid time off
- 401K with match
- Plenty of growth opportunities
Pay: $65,000-$90,000 per year salary
Northern Iron and Machine an equal opportunity employee.
No Agency calls or emails please